Wicked Good Shepherd’s Pie is a huge hit at parties. You might want to make a second batch to keep for yourself! The best healthy Chopmeat Recipes Dinners.
Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup Wicked Good Slow Cooker Sauce
- 8 ounces green beans chopped
- 1 pound russet potatoes diced
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, onion, and carrots. Sauté until beef is completely browned.
- Remove from heat and stir in Wicked Good Slow Cooker Sauce. Transfer to a baking dish. Top with green beans.
- Meanwhile, boil potatoes until tender. Drain and mash with milk, butter, and Cajun Seasoning . Season with salt if desired.
- Top beef with mashed potatoes. Finish with Parmesan cheese. Place on a sheet pan and bake for 25 minutes or until potatoes are starting to brown slightly and pie is heated through. Garnish with thyme if desired.
- 450 Calories (kcal)
- 21 Fat (g)
- 9 Saturated Fat (g)
- 40 Carbohydrates (g)
- 5 Fiber (g)
- 15 Sugar (g)
- 23 Protein (g)
- 80 Cholesterol (mg)
- 430 Sodium (mg)
Along with many other animal-based foods, this awesome dinner package is one of the best dietary sources of high-quality protein.With age, maintaining muscle mass is an important health consideration. Without exercise and proper diet, muscle mass naturally degenerates with age, an adverse change that is associated with many age-related health problems. In the most severe cases, muscle wasting may lead to a condition called sarcopenia, which is characterized by very low levels of muscle mass and decreased quality of life. Sarcopenia is most common among elderly people.
High-quality protein, containing all of the essential amino acids, is very important for the maintenance of muscle mass, especially when coupled with strength training. Inadequate intake of high-quality protein may accelerate age-related muscle degeneration, increasing the risk of sarcopenia. Eating this meal, or other protein-rich animal foods, is an excellent way to ensure sufficient dietary intake of high-quality protein that may help preserve muscle mass. Meat consumption is not only beneficial for the maintenance of muscle mass, it may also improve muscle function and physical performance.
Aside from being rich in high-quality protein, animal muscles (meat) contain a variety of healthy nutrients that are beneficial for our own muscles. These include taurine, creatine, and beta-alanine. Beta-alanine is an amino acid, which is used to produce carnosine in the body. Carnosine is a substance that is important for muscle function. High levels of carnosine in human muscles have, in fact, been linked with reduced fatigue and improved physical performance. Following vegetarian or vegan diets, which are low in beta-alanine, may cut the amount of carnosine in muscles over time. In contrast, high dietary intake of beta-alanine (from supplements) may result in significant increases in the carnosine levels of muscles. As a result, eating this shepherds pie, or other rich sources of beta-alanine, may be beneficial for those who want to maximize their physical performance.
PIN IT NOW, MAKE IT LATER