Cajun Beer Bread: Leavened by beer and baking powder, this savory beer bread is simple to make and almost foolproof.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 50 mins
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 4 teaspoons Roasted Garlic Grapeseed Oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun Seasoning
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 bag Quick And Easy Beer Bread Mix
- Switch on the oven to a temperature of 325 degrees F to preheat.
- In an 8 inch nonstick skillet placed over medium heat, heat the Roasted Garlic Grapeseed Oil. Stir in the pepper and onions and fry until the onion becomes soft. Remove from heat and let it cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Quick and Easy Beer Bread as per the instructions on its package. Use low-fat milk as the liquid. Add Cajun Seasoning and honey. Mix well to combine.
- Transfer dough to a lightly greased bread pan. Bake bread for 50 minutes.
- Cool bread for 5 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack.
- Cool to room temperature.
- 98 Calories (kcal)
- 2 Fat (g)
- 0 Saturated Fat (g)
- 18 Carbohydrates (g)
- 1 Fiber (g)
- 6 Sugar (g)
- 3 Protein (g)
- 1 Cholesterol (mg)
- 139 Sodium (mg)
Imagine taking beer bread? It sounds strange, but baking bread with beer is becoming popular. It can also be an enjoyable experience. Bread requires agents to rise, and naturally, beer is a rising agent.
The type of beer that you use for making your bread will affect its flavor. You may go for the less strong brands of beer for you to get some bits of beer flavor. Very light beers will be almost unnoticeable. Dark beers with a lot of flavors will have more flavors.
Bread develop flavor during the proofing time. The longer you prove, the better the flavor. You can even prove twice. After mixing your dough, leave it to rise to almost double in size. Ensure you cover to prevent the top surface from drying and forming a skin. After shaping the dough or putting it on the bread pan, let it rise again for 30 minutes to an hour. This second prove gives more flavor and structure without risking it falling in the oven.
When bread rises too much, it loses all the structure causing the bread to fall in the oven. It becomes soggy, and therefore will not cook at all. Cajun Beer Bread requires a long time to bake. To avoid finding yourself with uncooked bread especially in the middle, you should give your bread enough time to rise. Well risen bread properly takes its shape. It will also get lots of flavors.
Cajun seasoning is a versatile spice. It is a blend of spices and a must-have in your kitchen. It works well with all kinds of foods and is an easy way of giving your dish that fresh, spicy feel. You can easily make your Cajun Seasoning at home. You only have to mix dried paprika, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, Italian Seasoning, and salt. You then store it covered in tightly closed a jar. Use when needed.