Plantain Rice and Beans. Gluten-free, this Sides Recipes Easy food is awesome for the entire family. Made from fresh beans and plantains, it is just mouth watering!
Plantain Rice and Beans is a delicious, quick and easy dinner, that is gluten-free, full of fiber, and constitutes a complete protein for vegans and non-meat eaters.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- 2 plantains
- 1 tablespoon Roasted Garlic Grapeseed Oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can no salt added petite diced tomatoes drained
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can low-sodium black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup Tia Rosa's Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Vegetable Broth Mix
- Thinly slice plantains and pulse in a food processor until broken into small, rice-sized pieces.
- Heat Roasted Garlic Grapeseed Oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and saute onions until soft and translucent.
- Add plantain rice and saute 2-3 minutes or until starting to brown.
- Toss in diced tomatoes and black beans. Whisk together Tia Rosa's Red Enchilada Sauce, water, and Vegetable Broth Mix and add to the pan.
- Lower heat to medium and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Serve with chicken and vegetables or in burritos with desired toppings.
- 179 Calories (kcal)
- 3 Fat (g)
- 34 Carbohydrates (g)
- 6 Fiber (g)
- 12 Sugar (g)
- 5 Protein (g)
- 116 Sodium (mg)
Bananas are some of the most widely eaten fruits in the world, as well as some of the most readily recognized due to their distinctive shape and bright colors which, added to the health benefits of bananas, makes them a household stable. They are nutritious and readily eaten raw or cooked at times, and are mostly composed of sugars, such as sucrose, fructose, and glucose, in addition to fiber. Plantain is a type of banana and as a result, they are among the best choices for a source of energy that gives both immediate boost and more prolonged boosts. It is likewise high in fiber which reduces the risk of constipation thus promoting a healthy gut.
Black beans are one of the healthiest foods you can eat. High in fiber and protein, this wonder food is very dense in nutrients and low in fat. The important flavonoid and phytochemical compounds found in black beans act as antioxidants and anti-inflammatories, making them beneficial in protecting against various forms of cancer. The high fiber content of the amazing black beans nutrition helps to improve digestion by keeping the digestive tract clear of toxic build-up. It’s very important to consume the right type of carbohydrates-in the form of whole, unrefined vegetables, starches, legumes and occasionally sprouted grains- in order to keep blood sugar levels stable.
There are a wide variety of rice and beans recipe that one can prepare for their family and friends to enjoy. The plantain rice and beans dish is a convenient and healthy meal which is packed with different types of nutrients and flavors. This is a perfect side dish as it can be served alongside different types of dishes such as quesadillas and is deemed as a convenient meal especially for individuals who are always on the move as they can be able to grab a healthy bite and carry on with their busy schedule.