Looking for potato dishes? Try this mouth watering potato lentil dish. Visit our site for more Potatoes Recipes In Oven Side Dishes.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
- 2 tablespoons Natural Grapeseed Oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons Curry Seasoning
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 (8 ounce) cans no salt added tomato sauce
- 7 cups water
- 4 tablespoons Chicken Bouillon Soup Base
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Take a large pot and put in the Natural Grapeseed Oil to heat.
- Add the onions and bell pepper. Quickly fry them in the hot oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and Curry Seasoning in the cooking mixture and continue frying them for five more minutes.
- Take the lentils, black beans, tomato sauce, water, and Chicken Bouillon Soup Base and add them to the pot. Cover, and leave it to simmer for approximately 35minutes or till both the vegetables and lentils are soft and tender.
- Using an immersion blender or the regular one, blend some of the soup to make it thicker. Add the spinach and stir.
- Serve the soup topped with cilantro.
- 300 Calories (kcal)
- 6 Fat (g)
- 0.5 Saturated Fat (g)
- 52 Carbohydrates (g)
- 14 Fiber (g)
- 9 Sugar (g)
- 15 Protein (g)
- 0 Cholesterol (mg)
- 810 Sodium (mg)
Sweet potatoes are rich in Vitamins B6, C and D. Vitamin B6 helps reduce homocysteine, a chemical linked with degenerative disease in your bodies. Vitamin C is crucial in digestion, formation of blood cells, bone and tooth formation. It helps hasten the healing of wounds and is also effective in coping with stress.
If you also want your skin to maintain its youthful look, sweet potatoes have collagen which helps keep the skin's elasticity. Vitamin D is essential for your high energy levels and helps to build healthy bones.
Sweet potatoes are versatile and can you can roast, purée, steam, bake, or grill them. You can also use them for making soups and stews. When buying lentils, you should get them from a store that has a relatively fast turnover. Lentils tend to become old and dried if left on the shelves for long.
The fresher the lentils, the easier and faster they take to cook. You also get better the texture than those that are past their prime. It is best to go organic when it comes to lentils if you can.
There are many varieties of lentils, but you can distinguish them by their color, form and, size. You can either buy them either split or whole. Most types do not require soaking before cooking, but you can go ahead and soak them if you want to save time. Always rinse and pick through them to remove any debris and stone before cooking.
Lentils can also be boiled directly with other ingredients like in the Ethiopian Sweet Potato recipe. But in some recipes, you have to boil them first separately. Cooking time depends on the age and variety of your lentils. Check the package instructions for the recommended amount of water to use.