Vegan Wheat Berry Chili is easy, delicious, hearty and thick black bean chilli delicious lunch recipes perfect for the cold season! ...
This vegetarian wheat berry chilli recipe makes 8 servings.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- 1 tablespoon Natural Grapeseed Oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Chipotle Lime Rub
- 1/2 cup wheat berries
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Start by heating the grape seed oil in a very large pot over some medium heat.
- After that, add your carrot, onion and jalapeno into the large pot.
- Fry them for about 5 mins
- Then add the garlic into the pot and let them sauté for another one minute.
- Thereafter, add the chipotle lime rub, chili powder, the cumin and wheat berries.
- Stir the ingredients until they all combine well.
- After that, you can now add in the remaining ingredients.
- After adding everything, bring them all to a boil and reduce the heat to moderate low .
- Now cover them and let them simmer for approximately 1 and ½ hours or until the wheat berries are thoroughly cooked through.
- Stir the meal occasionally during the cooking.
- Once the meal is ready, it can be served with toppings like cilantro, lime wedges and scallions .etc.
- 180 Calories (kcal)
- 2.5 Fat (g)
- 33 Carbohydrates (g)
- 10 Fiber (g)
- 6 Sugar (g)
- 9 Protein (g)
- 480 Sodium (mg)
Never heard or cooked with wheat berries before? This easy vegan wheat berry chili is a good recipe to start with. It is very easy to cook a chili meal. Right? I love the taste of the wheat berries . They add a very healthy whole grains, nutty flavor and a chewy texture to this delicious meal. This is just the perfect vegan foods especially on a snowy day. You know how a snow day demands for hot spicy bowl of chili? This is it. The meal is a soul- soothing dish that I guarantee will become your favorite.
Did you know that it is important to soak the wheat berries? I did not soak the wheat berries in my recipe but I thought I should tell you something about it. Soaking helps in neutralizing their acid content which can hinder important minerals like zinc and calcium. Wheat berries are good, complex carbohydrates. Meaning that, they take long before they are broken down in the body and therefore they keep you feeling full for a longer time and most importantly, they give your body more energy which helps to fight several diseases.
I am not a fun of winter. However, I now look forward to every winter. There is nothing as comforting as wrapping your hands on a hot steaming bowl with chili. It feels nice when you inhale the sweet hot scented steam. Next time winter is on your door, make an attempt and prepare this vegan food recipe.