Homemade Pretzel Bites with a creamy cheddar cheese dipping sauce is one of our favourite homemade pretzel recipes! Popable and super addicting these homemade pretzel bites will go fast! Cut them into squares to produce perfect pretzel squares.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- 1 bag So Quick & Easy Pizza Dough
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon Natural Grapeseed Oil
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole grain mustard for dipping
- Switch on the oven to a temperature of 425 degrees F to preheat.
- Prepare the So Quick & Easy Pizza Dough as per the instructions on its package. Set it aside to rest.
- Divide the rested dough into four equal portions. On a floured surface, roll out each of the four pieces into a 10-inch rod. Subdivide each rod into equal eight sections. In total, you should have 32 pieces.
- Add water and baking soda to a medium sized pan. Bring it to a boil. Grease a sheet pan.
- Drop the cut pieces of dough into the boiling water for 20 seconds. Work in batches to avoid overcrowding. Remove from water using a slotted spoon. Place them on to the greased sheet pan. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake the bites for 10-11 minutes or until they become golden.
- Serve with Zesty Mustard Dipping Sauce.
- 120 Calories (kcal)
- 1.5 Fat (g)
- 21 Carbohydrates (g)
- 1 Fiber (g)
- 2 Sugar (g)
- 4 Protein (g)
- 320 Sodium (mg)
You may wonder why you have to boil your pretzel bites before baking! Boiling helps the bites to start puffing up before going in the oven. It also allows the formation of a crust on the exterior of the bite. You definitely want your bite to taste like pretzel and not as a piece of bread! When you remove them from the boiling water, they will appear wrinkled. However, this should not worry you since while cooking, and they'll smoothen out.
The baking soda in the recipe makes the bites get the chewy texture. It also helps in getting the deep golden brown color, typical of perfect pretzel. Baking soda is a browning agent. For best results, you should use your hands to work the dough. After mixing, cover the dough and let it rest for some time. In order to get most of the flavors, you must set aside time for your dough to rest.
The topping that you use varies depending on whether your pretzel bite is savory, sweet or vegan. For sweet pretzels, you may use melted butter, sugar and cinnamon. If it is a savory pretzel, sprinkle some salt, and your bite will be ready. For vegan pretzels, there's no need of butter or egg wash, but you only use water.
If you have any leftovers, you can you can freeze them for later use. Ensure they are completely cool before placing them in the freezer bag. Maize mustard dipping has that extra texture that works well with the soft, chewy pretzel bites.
Pretzel bites are comfort food and are a good treat for a party. Your kids will equally love snacking on them. You can either make them big or small depending on your preference. Smaller pieces are better especially when serving a crowd.
PIN IT NOW, MAKE IT LATER