Onion and Goat Cheese Tartlets make for a super delish recipes appetizers that you can enjoy with lunch or dinner; they're also the perfect starter for a dinner party.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- 30 mini fillo shells
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives chopped
- 1 tablespoon Absolutely Onion Blend
- 3 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- Place olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they turn golden or light brown, about 35 minutes. Season with salt. Let come to room temperature.
- While onions are cooling, place goat cheese in a small bowl. Add black pepper and stir goat cheese until soft and easily spreadable. In a bowl, add the remaining ingredients, whisking to combine. Divide the mixture among the shells. Bake for 10 minutes or until the egg mixture has set. Place the mini fillo shells on a sheet pan. Line shells with foil and fill with pie weights or raw rice. Bake shells in middle of oven 10 minutes. Carefully remove foil and weights or rice and bake shells until pale golden, about 5 minutes more. While shells are baking, whisk together butter and sour cream until smooth and whisk in the egg until combined well. Season custard with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place puff pastry on baking sheet. Spread goat cheese over tart, leaving a 1/2-inch border on all sides. Top tart evenly with onions and sprinkle with thyme (you can use basil instead of thyme, any herb will do). Bake until crust is golden, about 25-30 minutes.
- Let tart cool for 15 minutes. Cut into approximately 2 by 3-inch rectangles. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 45 Calories (kcal)
- 3 Fat (g)
- 1.5 Saturated Fat (g)
- 4 Carbohydrates (g)
- 0 Fiber (g)
- 0 Sugar (g)
- 1 Protein (g)
- 15 Cholesterol (mg)
- 55 Sodium (mg)
The hardest part of making this tart is waiting patiently while the onions slowly cook into sweet, darn brown threads. I promise it's worth the wait; after they've cooked down, the onions are a perfect match for both tangy goat cheese and earthy thyme. Cooking the onion long enough on low heat is key. They need to turn light brown without burning. By topping puff pastry with just those three ingredients plus a dash of salt and pepper, you have a deliciously savory-sweet tart. Cutting the tart into bite-size pieces makes it easy to eat. I'd recommend a dry white wine for your other hand.
Alternatively, you can use half goats cheeseand half Boursin with Garlic cheese. I also recommend using Spanish onions together with mixed olive oil and butter with 6 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. This should make an amazing recipe.
Healthy fats are an important part of every diet because fat helps facilitate nutrient absorption, hormone production, protects neurological health and much more. Overall cow and goat milk have similar amounts of fat, but the fat globules found in goat milk are smaller and tend to be easier to digest. Caprylic acid found in goat milk and goat cheese has been found to possess antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties.
PIN IT NOW, MAKE IT LATER